Pages

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Yeah, that last post... I lied.

So, I thought I was getting used to living in China, eating with chopsticks, and not knowing whether the poop on the sidewalks was canine or human, but I might have been wrong.  Last Friday I had to use my first trough.  Barb Jones had warned me about them, but I had not encountered one until recently.  In the ladies' restroom there was literally a trough separated by "stalls" that had no doors.  I have seen more than my fair share of babies butts, but I did not expect to see grown women butts.  I honestly walked in, went bug-eyed, and walked out.  Unfortunately nature was calling so insistently that I could not afford to be horrified for more than a few seconds.  I waited until a few people had walked out, smiled at the white chick, and then hurried to the "stall" furthest from the door, where I thought my shiny white hiney would be least likely seen by anyone.  You don't wanna know what I saw in the trash can next to me.

The night before, Ben and I had gone on our first date in China, to celebrate our two-month anniversary.  We ate dumplings filled with soup and gong bao ji ding (kung pao chicken) then strolled through downtown Kaifeng.  It was quite nice, feeling slightly more normal (that is, until we saw two kids sitting next to a FIRE they had built on the friggin' sidewalk--apparently sidewalks are not for walking in China).

A group of Australians recently joined us here, and Ben and I have made a few new friends.  I mentioned Tim and Margeaux in my last post.  Now there is also Toby, the German teacher.  We all went out to dinner on Friday then retired to mine and Ben's place to watch the most horrible movie ever ever made and laugh and gag while doing so.  So now Ben and I have friends on four of the six habitable continents.  Yay!

Got to run.  As my lovely sister Madeline so wonderfully said, I gotta go teach them commies to speak English good.

PS See our picture of Longting Park on Facebook!


No comments:

Post a Comment